airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Migrate to thrift 0.9.2 and multiplex API's
Date Tue, 09 Jun 2015 11:48:32 GMT
Hi All,

Here is a draft of the multiplex API blocks, please comment on the list or preferably on the
JIRA issue [1]

airavata-super-admin (targeted for Airavata Super Admins to create and manage gateways, and
any other API methods requiring super admin credentials)
gateway-management  (manage gateway credentials, gateway resource profile)
application-execution (previous experiment functions made explicit for single application)
workflow-execution
app-catalog
resource-catalog (splitting resources from app catalog so availability, health, queue information
can be managed efficiently).

Suresh
[1] - https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-1637 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-1637>

> On Jun 5, 2015, at 3:59 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> We are good to move to thrift 0.9.2 for master. On hip chat I suggested there is a blocker
 with multiple suppress warnings, but that was added from airavata thrift shell script and
not thrift code. Thats cleared now. There are no blockers for 0.9.2. Lets switch to it soon.

> Suresh
>
>> On Jun 1, 2015, at 2:08 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>>
wrote:

>> Hi All,
>>
>> If there are no objections I shall upgrade 0.16 (latest master) to thrift 0.9.2 and
start multiplexing API’s as discussed below.

>> Hi Kenneth,
>>
>> Sorry I missed to answer your query earlier, please see below:
>>
>>> On Mar 18, 2015, at 2:38 PM, K Yoshimoto <kenneth@sdsc.edu <mailto:kenneth@sdsc.edu>>
wrote:

>>> What are multiplex APIs?
>>
>> Once we write API functions in the thrift IDL, we add the implementations into the
server side skeletons. As the API methods grow, the server implementation becomes unmanageable.
So can break down the API into small categories. But this will force us to run a server for
each of this API blocks. This will be very cumbersome for clients to figure our which service
to use for which API methods. Thrift multi-plexing provides us a way to run multiple API services
in one service. So the code managed in nice modular ways but the service is one which multiplexes
into multiple implementations.

>>> Does this affect how a client is written to use a thrift-generated API?
>>
>> Yes there are subtle changes but they are very minor and they will be absorbed in
the Airavata Client wrapper provided for all supported languages. I can walk through Airavata
mock up examples below, or you might find a better example in the thrift python patch at -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-1914 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-1914>

>> Suresh

service is also getting unmanageable. Latest thrift 0.9.2 release supports multiplexing for
all the clients [1]. I did a quick POC to verify it indeed works well Java, PHP, CPP and Python
[2] [3].

API’s? I will start a refactoring in Airavata-Labs repo[4] to verify if its really helps
our issues.

<https://github.com/apache/airavata-sandbox/tree/master/airavata-mock-multiplexed-api <https://github.com/apache/airavata-sandbox/tree/master/airavata-mock-multiplexed-api>>