airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Supun Nakandala <supun.nakand...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Airavata Registry Considerations
Date Fri, 22 May 2015 15:49:20 GMT
Hi Supun,

I haven't done done profiling of registry based operations. Here what I
mean by slow performance is mainly the slowness of the SELECT operations in
PHP Reference Gateway. e.g fetching Projects, fetching experiments. Even a
simple query to fetch the 20 most recent experiments is embarrassingly slow
in PGA.

Even though I didn't do a proper profiling of operations I did a query log
analysis for a SELECT experiment query. This was a simple query to fetch 20
most recent experiments. I found that JPA layer is generating enormous
amount of queries for this task rather than one single query (due to the
select N+1 isssue). This issue is same for fetching a single experiment by
specifying the id.

I think it is ok to say that current registry has become bottleneck for
most of the PGA specific operations. But I don't have evidence to show how
it has become a bottleneck for the Orchestrator or GFac specific
operations. For that as you have mentioned we need to profile the
operations. But I think the argument is still valid even for GFac and
Orchestrator based operations.

I have attached the query log for the above mentioned select operation here
with. If you observe the query log you can see that every associated entity
is fetched separately using complex join operations.

--
Thank you
Supun Nakandala