airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Supun Nakandala <supun.nakand...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Airavata Registry Considerations
Date Fri, 22 May 2015 16:28:13 GMT
Hi Supun,

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 9:42 PM, Supun Kamburugamuve <supun06@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Supun,
>
> In normal software developments, it is normal to have these kind of
> slowness. We cannot foresee all the things when we develop. The solution is
> to improve the performance of important operations rather than re-writing
> everything from the beginning. For example for this particular select
> operations you can directly use SQL rather than going through JPA.
>
> I'm pretty sure you'll encounter more problems, if you implement this in
> MongoDB than in the current MySQL. If that happens, do you think abandoning
> that technology and going for a new database will be a good solution? Now
> you have more experience with MySQL than MongoDB as well.
>
> Rather than going to abandon everything you have because of one problem,
> trying to fix it may be better for you in the long run.
>
> Thanks,
> Supun..
>
> I completely agree with you. Writing things from scratch will need more
development effort and proper testing. And has the potential of
incorporating new unknown issues. It is completely possible to fix these
issues in current registry and I have mentioned that in the doc also.

In addition to that I also checked several other alternatives and found
MongoDB interesting. I am not saying that we should completely rewrite
registry using MongoDB. But I think it is worth exploring it at a POC level.