airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Airavata 0.16 branch
Date Wed, 27 May 2015 15:12:31 GMT
On May 27, 2015, at 10:57 AM, Shameera Rathnayaka <shameerainfo@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Suresh,
> ​
> What do you mean by branching 0.16? we should create a branch for 0.15 (current master
snapshot version) and move master to 0.16-SNAPSHOT.

Shameera,

You can go both ways. Like in [1], we can treat 0.16 as the develop branch or master. I do
not have a strong preference one way or another. The two options I see are:

Option 1:
* We branch for 0.16.
* Continue master until and in near future release 0.15.
* Post release we will create a maintenance branch for 0.15.
* We can develop on on needed changed in 0.16 branch and when we  feel it is stable enough,
merge it to master and delete 0.16 branch.
* we release from master.

Option 2:
* We branch for 0.15
* continue development in master targeting 0.16
* We release 0.15 from the branch.
* The release gets tagged but the 0.15 branch lives on for maintenance.

In first option the branch have more definite time and gets into active development and eventually
delete them. But it is only a subtle difference.

[1] - http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ <http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/>

> Thanks,
> Shameera.
>
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>>
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> If there are no objections, shall I proceed with branching for 0.16?
>
> Suresh
>

> > On May 26, 2015, at 1:25 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>>
wrote:

> > Hi Hasini,
> >
> > Your description on the GSoC project and breaking down into sprint is extremely
useful [1], thank you for serving as a good role model for other projects. Its a good reminder
for students to “commit early and commit often”, this is the best way to get contributions
into main releases. A counter example of big commits towards end of summer generally rest
in peace in sandbox area. Before we merge your pull request [2], we need to discuss some logistics
on how to proceed.

> > Hi All,
> >
> > Aligning with the API Security effort, Airavata needs to make progress on user management
as a whole. Currently we have some very minimal user information and kept deferring the proper
integration [3],[4],[5]. With proper integration with Identity server we can fix this us.
We have also been deferring the Airavata data model into all Airavata components from a while,
we need to work on it to make progress towards 1.0 release (I will start a separate discussion
on these timelines).