airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Airavata 0.16 branch
Date Fri, 29 May 2015 16:39:19 GMT
Hi All,

As per discussions below, I created a new airavata-0.15-release-branch. Please make any commits
leading to 0.15 release to this branch. I will switch Jenkins testing to this branch as well.

Consider the master is now open for development leading to airavata 0.16 release.

Suresh

> On May 27, 2015, at 11:34 AM, Shameera Rathnayaka <shameerainfo@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Suresh,
>
> My preference is 2nd options, IMO it is align with git branching best practice [1] <http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/>.
Here is my +1 for branching.

> [1] http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ <http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/>
>
> Thanks,
> Shameera.
>
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:12 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>>
wrote:
> On May 27, 2015, at 10:57 AM, Shameera Rathnayaka <shameerainfo@gmail.com <mailto:shameerainfo@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> Hi Suresh,
>> ​
>> What do you mean by branching 0.16? we should create a branch for 0.15 (current master
snapshot version) and move master to 0.16-SNAPSHOT.

> Shameera,
>
> You can go both ways. Like in [1], we can treat 0.16 as the develop branch or master.
I do not have a strong preference one way or another. The two options I see are:

> Option 1:
> * We branch for 0.16.
> * Continue master until and in near future release 0.15.
> * Post release we will create a maintenance branch for 0.15.
> * We can develop on on needed changed in 0.16 branch and when we  feel it is stable enough,
merge it to master and delete 0.16 branch.
> * we release from master.
>
> Option 2:
> * We branch for 0.15
> * continue development in master targeting 0.16
> * We release 0.15 from the branch.
> * The release gets tagged but the 0.15 branch lives on for maintenance.
>
> In first option the branch have more definite time and gets into active development and
eventually delete them. But it is only a subtle difference.

> [1] - http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ <http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/>
>

>> Thanks,
>> Shameera.
>>
>> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>>
wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> If there are no objections, shall I proceed with branching for 0.16?
>>
>> Suresh
>>

>> > On May 26, 2015, at 1:25 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>>
wrote:

>> > Hi Hasini,
>> >
>> > Your description on the GSoC project and breaking down into sprint is extremely
useful [1], thank you for serving as a good role model for other projects. Its a good reminder
for students to “commit early and commit often”, this is the best way to get contributions
into main releases. A counter example of big commits towards end of summer generally rest
in peace in sandbox area. Before we merge your pull request [2], we need to discuss some logistics
on how to proceed.

>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > Aligning with the API Security effort, Airavata needs to make progress on user
management as a whole. Currently we have some very minimal user information and kept deferring
the proper integration [3],[4],[5]. With proper integration with Identity server we can fix
this us. We have also been deferring the Airavata data model into all Airavata components
from a while, we need to work on it to make progress towards 1.0 release (I will start a separate
discussion on these timelines).