airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [API] Assigning Computational Resources
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2015 12:02:56 GMT
Hi Sudhakar,

This is a good usecase. Can we then consider projects are created and managed by users? And
to manage allocations, how about we use the group concept? So as soon as an allocation is
approved, a group will be created and the PI can manage the users and group wide allocation.

Suresh

> On Apr 19, 2015, at 11:53 AM, Pamidighantam, Sudhakar V <spamidig@illinois.edu>
wrote:

> Well it definitely depends on the allocation available. The (user) project allocation
should not be 0 or negative for an experiment to run. As experiments are run the allocation
gets consumed and the  PI typically has to renew an allocation when it is fully consumed (
or low or expires at a particular date) and the Gateway needs to approve renewal and grant
new allocation (amount).

> Sudhakar.
> On Apr 19, 2015, at 8:42 AM, DImuthu Upeksha <dimuthu.upeksha2@gmail.com <mailto:dimuthu.upeksha2@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> Hi Sudhakar,
>>
>> What is the effect for the allocation of computational resources in these two types
of projects? I think according to Eroma's clarification, it does not depend on high level
project management.

<mailto:spamidig@illinois.edu>> wrote:
>> Just to clarify further, there are two kinds of projects … one is a research project
under which many experiments can be collected. On the organization of users side,
>> there may be a project under which many users can be grouped lead by a PI ( principal
investigator). Perhaps this distinction should be maintained when a Gateway is considered.
Each user may have multiple research projects. Each PI may have several collaborators using
the project (resource) allocation. All these need to be tracked for the Gateway, PI and the
individual users.

<mailto:eroma.abeysinghe@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>> Hi Dimuthu,
>>>
>>> Project is a grouping for a collection of experiments. Meaning we can select
a project when creating an experiment. A project can have one or many experiments grouped
together. Compute resource is the super computer which application (applications are deployed
in a computer resource) experiments are executed.
>>> Currently in AIravata a computer resource and a project does not have a direct
link and neither we could specify projects to particular resource.

>>> Others please correct if above is not accurate.
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Eroma
>>>
>>> On Sat, Apr 18, 2015 at 11:03 PM, DImuthu Upeksha <dimuthu.upeksha2@gmail.com
<mailto:dimuthu.upeksha2@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Can we assign/get computational resources for a project using Airavata API?
>>> There are methods like getAllComputeResourceNames and getComputeResource which
enables to get them. But it does not specify a particular project. What is the concept behind
computational resources? Does it available for all projects or can we specify particular resources
for  specific projects?

>>> Thanks
>>> Dimuthu
>>> --
>>> Regards
>>> W.Dimuthu Upeksha
>>> Undergraduate
>>> Department of Computer Science And Engineering
>>> University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka
>>>

>>> --
>>> Thank You,
>>> Best Regards,