airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject RabbitMQ as a system level service
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:17:34 GMT
Hi All,

Previously I used to start RabbitMQ from the download sbin directory, but seems like system
level service may be a better alternative as described in - https://www.rabbitmq.com/install-rpm.html
<https://www.rabbitmq.com/install-rpm.html>

Key differences are:
* Set it up to auto-strat with system boots so one less service manage during deployment upgrades
* Use system level log rotate using the /etc/logrotate.d/rabbitmq-server
* Use the epmd daemon which seems better way of clustering rabbitmq - http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/epmd.html
<http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/epmd.html>

This of course requires root level access since the start/stop is done using - /sbin/service
rabbitmq-server stop/start/restart  so only applicable for deployments where we have VM level
root access.

Anything downsides I am missing from moving from a user level rabbitmq deployment to a system
level service?

Suresh