airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSoC 2015
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2015 17:38:55 GMT
Hi Thilina,

It will be great if you can help mentor this. I can be a co-mentor. I deferred to Danushka
to pick among the Oozie but he was inclined on Spark/Storm as he is exploring them in detail
as part of his PhD. So will appreciate you navigating this experimentation in the right direction.

Thanks,
Suresh

> On Mar 26, 2015, at 12:53 PM, Thilina Gunarathne <csethil@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Danushka, Suresh,
> Sorry, I missed this email earlier. Both the ideas sound interesting. I would have definitely
helped with the Ozzie idea. I can still try to help with the second idea as well, but I feel
we may be able to find a better co-mentor for that.

<mailto:danushka.menikkumbura@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Done.
>
> Thanks,
> Danushka
>
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>>
wrote:
> Hi Danushka,
>
> Can you make the proposal public and send that url? This is only accessible by mentors.
>
> Suresh
>
>> On Mar 26, 2015, at 11:35 AM, Danushka Menikkumbura <danushka.menikkumbura@gmail.com
<mailto:danushka.menikkumbura@gmail.com>> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> Please find a rough version of my proposal for topic 2 at [1]. Please review and
give your feedback.

>> [1] - https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/student/google/gsoc2015/danushka/5704420943724544
<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/student/google/gsoc2015/danushka/5704420943724544>

>> Thanks,
>> Danushka
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>>
wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Since Danushka is a committer and understand fair amount, please suggest if you have
anything to challenge him.

>> Hi Eran, Thilina, & rest of Airavata Community,
>>
>> While we wait for some challenging topics to explore for GSoC, I am debating between
two, can you weigh in?

>> * Explore using Airavata to compose Oozie Workflows and catalog the execution states
and facilitate further analysis.
>> * Explore using Storm/Spark for Airavata Task Management.
>>
>> Integrating Oozie has a value since Airavata workflow related tools (composer, monitoring,
messaging, cataloging results) all are essentially DAG driven. Secondly, a non-science gateway
usage will help ensure the architecture is not proliferating science terminology deep into
the system. This project might either validate Airavata as a general purpose distributed application
management or expose shortcomings in architecture. This is also timely, see few discussions
from Shameera for context [1], [2].

>> Previously in Architecture discussions exploring Storm for Airavata came up [3] [4].
Lahiru has prototyped it [5] and also documented the learnings [6][7]. I wonder if Danushka
can build on these and do a academic study of the project (GFac’s distributed task management
with external state) and compare and contrast multiple options.

>> I am split between both of them as they both can be valuable additions to Airavata
1.0. So I would suggest we go with a GSoC idea based on who has some time to mentor. I am
willing to co-mentor but looking for someone with deep knowledge on these topics to be the
primary mentor.

>> Suresh
>>
>> [1] - http://markmail.org/thread/tkpbj3sr4jhg6o6z <http://markmail.org/thread/tkpbj3sr4jhg6o6z>,

>> [2] - http://markmail.org/thread/vhworkj3736xisn7 <http://markmail.org/thread/vhworkj3736xisn7>
>> [3] - http://airavata.markmail.org/thread/u6my2vxrpgqdviae <http://airavata.markmail.org/thread/u6my2vxrpgqdviae>
>> [4] - http://markmail.org/thread/2ycudn3hvtgz3k3c <http://markmail.org/thread/2ycudn3hvtgz3k3c>
>> [5] - https://github.com/apache/airavata/tree/gfac-storm <https://github.com/apache/airavata/tree/gfac-storm>
>> [6] - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SU1U013Ec_NiW_Y82HRJYVliyoOwNzRH69K4vRli8vU/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SU1U013Ec_NiW_Y82HRJYVliyoOwNzRH69K4vRli8vU/edit?usp=sharing>

>> [7] - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MigsXsC1VGM-Y7qSblOh9xMO2xdAlYBHUiWppPmK8_A/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MigsXsC1VGM-Y7qSblOh9xMO2xdAlYBHUiWppPmK8_A/edit?usp=sharing>

>>> On Mar 23, 2015, at 11:51 AM, Danushka Menikkumbura <danushka.menikkumbura@gmail.com
<mailto:danushka.menikkumbura@gmail.com>> wrote:

>>> Hi devs,
>>>
>>> As I have heard a lot of interesting things are happening (and are about to happen)
in Airavata space especially targeting the 1.0 release. Yes its last minute ;-) but if you
have got some interesting and challenging topic I am happy to contribute as a GSoC project.
But please note that it may go beyond a GSoC project and have some value addition to Airavata
in the long run.