airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Marru, Suresh" <sma...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: Apache Airavata + GenApp
Date Thu, 19 Mar 2015 15:46:53 GMT
Hi Emre,

I firstly applaud the CCP-SAS team in having GenApp as an Open Source project with an interest
to grow a community. Normally, Apache has not been encouraging “umbrella” projects where
lot of sub-projects exist. So the suggest mechanism, will be to go through the Incubator Process
and work towards a GenApp top level project. But, here is a debatable situation and there
are multiple ways we can view this.

* GenApp can be considered a downstream project of Airavata in which case it can be argued
for a stand alone project.
* GenApp is consuming Airavata API’s and helping users build gateways based on their applications
(the lab generated code you refer below). In this perspective, GenApp could rightly belong
into Airavata itself and have its own product releases. This is very similar to how Airavata
currently releases XBaya and very soon a PHP Gateway.

Ofcourse, there is a pragmatic way to approach this and have you get started within Airavata
and if we realize its significant to stand on its own (and you might have generated some developer/community
interest by then), this can then spin off into an incubator project and eventually into a
TLP.

I am cc’ing Airavata Community for input. I would have suggested apache incubator general
list, but that may be early to start with. We should have expert advice here (there are a
lot of apache members on airavata pmc and we have Chris Mattmann who is member of the current
board).

Cheers,
Suresh