airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Accept GenApp into Apache Airavata
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2015 06:39:19 GMT
Hi Suresh,

I would honestly advise against this for a multitude of
reasons. Note we recently went through a similar thought
on OODT/Wings with the prevailing sentiment from me and
a few others being suggesting Wings either goes through
Incubation at the ASF or remain at Github until there is
an actual connection (direct) between Wings and OODT such
that they are complimentary products and “bound” together
(aka you can’t release one without the other).

Here are a few reasons:

1. Binding the products together on a committee requires
that the committee (PMC) have merit in each other’s products.
I don’t see that starting off at least.

2. Having mutual products together also potentially binds
their release cycle - sure we can release as a committee
“independent products”, but there is then scrutiny and
sometimes “forced” instead of “natural” binding glue
developed between the software products if it wasn’t there
already.

3. IP clearance; brand; trademarks etc are things that
the PMC can do, but that things like the Incubator is set
up to help (or even direct to TLP options that are now
available [see Zest]).

There are many more reasons that “umbrella” projects didn’t
work out at the ASF and are generally discouraged. I wouldn’t
recommend turning Airavata into one.

Instead, I would recommend the following:

R1. GenApp through the Incubator
R2. Mentors include the Airavata community PMC members that
are ASF or IPMC members (Suresh, Marlon, etc.)
R3. GenApp consider a few Airavata PMC/committers in its
initial PPMC makeup to develop synergy between the groups,
and to see if there are answers to 1-3 and more to be worked
out during Incubation.

If the result of R1-R3 yields a desire to “graduate into
Airavata” the answers to the questions 1-3 above will have
been worked out and it will be a much easier answer then.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect