airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSoC 2015
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2015 15:46:28 GMT
Hi Danushka,

Can you make the proposal public and send that url? This is only accessible by mentors.

Suresh

> On Mar 26, 2015, at 11:35 AM, Danushka Menikkumbura <danushka.menikkumbura@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please find a rough version of my proposal for topic 2 at [1]. Please review and give
your feedback.

> [1] - https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/student/google/gsoc2015/danushka/5704420943724544
<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/student/google/gsoc2015/danushka/5704420943724544>

> Thanks,
> Danushka
>
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>>
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Since Danushka is a committer and understand fair amount, please suggest if you have
anything to challenge him.

> Hi Eran, Thilina, & rest of Airavata Community,
>
> While we wait for some challenging topics to explore for GSoC, I am debating between
two, can you weigh in?

> * Explore using Airavata to compose Oozie Workflows and catalog the execution states
and facilitate further analysis.
> * Explore using Storm/Spark for Airavata Task Management.
>
> Integrating Oozie has a value since Airavata workflow related tools (composer, monitoring,
messaging, cataloging results) all are essentially DAG driven. Secondly, a non-science gateway
usage will help ensure the architecture is not proliferating science terminology deep into
the system. This project might either validate Airavata as a general purpose distributed application
management or expose shortcomings in architecture. This is also timely, see few discussions
from Shameera for context [1], [2].

> Previously in Architecture discussions exploring Storm for Airavata came up [3] [4].
Lahiru has prototyped it [5] and also documented the learnings [6][7]. I wonder if Danushka
can build on these and do a academic study of the project (GFac’s distributed task management
with external state) and compare and contrast multiple options.

> I am split between both of them as they both can be valuable additions to Airavata 1.0.
So I would suggest we go with a GSoC idea based on who has some time to mentor. I am willing
to co-mentor but looking for someone with deep knowledge on these topics to be the primary
mentor.

<mailto:danushka.menikkumbura@gmail.com>> wrote:

>> Hi devs,
>>
>> As I have heard a lot of interesting things are happening (and are about to happen)
in Airavata space especially targeting the 1.0 release. Yes its last minute ;-) but if you
have got some interesting and challenging topic I am happy to contribute as a GSoC project.
But please note that it may go beyond a GSoC project and have some value addition to Airavata
in the long run.