airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSoC 2015
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2015 19:18:17 GMT
Hi Thilina,

Did you also make the melange connection request? Now that your request is ACK’ed the connection
request should be approved and you should be able to see it.

You can do so at - http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/connection/start/user/google/gsoc2015/apache
<http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/connection/start/user/google/gsoc2015/apache> and
say Yes for a role in the organization.

Suresh

> On Mar 27, 2015, at 12:50 PM, Thilina Gunarathne <csethil@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Can some kind PMC fellow please ack my mentor request. Submitted it in case..
>
> BTW I still can't access Danushka's proposal.
>
> thanks,
> Thilina
>

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 1:38 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>>
wrote:
> Hi Thilina,
>
> It will be great if you can help mentor this. I can be a co-mentor. I deferred to Danushka
to pick among the Oozie but he was inclined on Spark/Storm as he is exploring them in detail
as part of his PhD. So will appreciate you navigating this experimentation in the right direction.

> Thanks,
> Suresh
>
>> On Mar 26, 2015, at 12:53 PM, Thilina Gunarathne <csethil@gmail.com <mailto:csethil@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>> Hi Danushka, Suresh,
>> Sorry, I missed this email earlier. Both the ideas sound interesting. I would have
definitely helped with the Ozzie idea. I can still try to help with the second idea as well,
but I feel we may be able to find a better co-mentor for that.

>> I still didn't get a chance to access the proposal to comment on it, waiting for
my approval to join ASF in Melange.

<mailto:danushka.menikkumbura@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Done.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Danushka
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 11:46 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>>
wrote:
>> Hi Danushka,
>>
>> Can you make the proposal public and send that url? This is only accessible by mentors.
>>
>> Suresh
>>
>>> On Mar 26, 2015, at 11:35 AM, Danushka Menikkumbura <danushka.menikkumbura@gmail.com
<mailto:danushka.menikkumbura@gmail.com>> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Please find a rough version of my proposal for topic 2 at [1]. Please review
and give your feedback.

>>> [1] - https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/student/google/gsoc2015/danushka/5704420943724544
<https://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/student/google/gsoc2015/danushka/5704420943724544>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Danushka
>>>
>>> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 12:29 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org <mailto:smarru@apache.org>>
wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Since Danushka is a committer and understand fair amount, please suggest if you
have anything to challenge him.

>>> Hi Eran, Thilina, & rest of Airavata Community,
>>>
>>> While we wait for some challenging topics to explore for GSoC, I am debating
between two, can you weigh in?

>>> * Explore using Airavata to compose Oozie Workflows and catalog the execution
states and facilitate further analysis.
>>> * Explore using Storm/Spark for Airavata Task Management.
>>>
>>> Integrating Oozie has a value since Airavata workflow related tools (composer,
monitoring, messaging, cataloging results) all are essentially DAG driven. Secondly, a non-science
gateway usage will help ensure the architecture is not proliferating science terminology deep
into the system. This project might either validate Airavata as a general purpose distributed
application management or expose shortcomings in architecture. This is also timely, see few
discussions from Shameera for context [1], [2].

>>> Previously in Architecture discussions exploring Storm for Airavata came up [3]
[4]. Lahiru has prototyped it [5] and also documented the learnings [6][7]. I wonder if Danushka
can build on these and do a academic study of the project (GFac’s distributed task management
with external state) and compare and contrast multiple options.

>>> I am split between both of them as they both can be valuable additions to Airavata
1.0. So I would suggest we go with a GSoC idea based on who has some time to mentor. I am
willing to co-mentor but looking for someone with deep knowledge on these topics to be the
primary mentor.

>>> Suresh
>>>
>>> [1] - http://markmail.org/thread/tkpbj3sr4jhg6o6z <http://markmail.org/thread/tkpbj3sr4jhg6o6z>,

>>> [2] - http://markmail.org/thread/vhworkj3736xisn7 <http://markmail.org/thread/vhworkj3736xisn7>
>>> [3] - http://airavata.markmail.org/thread/u6my2vxrpgqdviae <http://airavata.markmail.org/thread/u6my2vxrpgqdviae>
>>> [4] - http://markmail.org/thread/2ycudn3hvtgz3k3c <http://markmail.org/thread/2ycudn3hvtgz3k3c>
>>> [5] - https://github.com/apache/airavata/tree/gfac-storm <https://github.com/apache/airavata/tree/gfac-storm>
>>> [6] - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SU1U013Ec_NiW_Y82HRJYVliyoOwNzRH69K4vRli8vU/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SU1U013Ec_NiW_Y82HRJYVliyoOwNzRH69K4vRli8vU/edit?usp=sharing>

>>> [7] - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MigsXsC1VGM-Y7qSblOh9xMO2xdAlYBHUiWppPmK8_A/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MigsXsC1VGM-Y7qSblOh9xMO2xdAlYBHUiWppPmK8_A/edit?usp=sharing>

to happen) in Airavata space especially targeting the 1.0 release. Yes its last minute ;-)
but if you have got some interesting and challenging topic I am happy to contribute as a GSoC
project. But please note that it may go beyond a GSoC project and have some value addition
to Airavata in the long run.