airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSoC 2015
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2015 16:29:02 GMT
Hi All,

Since Danushka is a committer and understand fair amount, please suggest if you have anything
to challenge him.

Hi Eran, Thilina, & rest of Airavata Community,

While we wait for some challenging topics to explore for GSoC, I am debating between two,
can you weigh in?

* Explore using Airavata to compose Oozie Workflows and catalog the execution states and facilitate
further analysis.
* Explore using Storm/Spark for Airavata Task Management.

Integrating Oozie has a value since Airavata workflow related tools (composer, monitoring,
messaging, cataloging results) all are essentially DAG driven. Secondly, a non-science gateway
usage will help ensure the architecture is not proliferating science terminology deep into
the system. This project might either validate Airavata as a general purpose distributed application
management or expose shortcomings in architecture. This is also timely, see few discussions
from Shameera for context [1], [2].

Previously in Architecture discussions exploring Storm for Airavata came up [3] [4]. Lahiru
has prototyped it [5] and also documented the learnings [6][7]. I wonder if Danushka can build
on these and do a academic study of the project (GFac’s distributed task management with
external state) and compare and contrast multiple options.

I am split between both of them as they both can be valuable additions to Airavata 1.0. So
I would suggest we go with a GSoC idea based on who has some time to mentor. I am willing
to co-mentor but looking for someone with deep knowledge on these topics to be the primary
mentor.

Suresh

[1] - http://markmail.org/thread/tkpbj3sr4jhg6o6z <http://markmail.org/thread/tkpbj3sr4jhg6o6z>,

[2] - http://markmail.org/thread/vhworkj3736xisn7 <http://markmail.org/thread/vhworkj3736xisn7>
[3] - http://airavata.markmail.org/thread/u6my2vxrpgqdviae <http://airavata.markmail.org/thread/u6my2vxrpgqdviae>
[4] - http://markmail.org/thread/2ycudn3hvtgz3k3c <http://markmail.org/thread/2ycudn3hvtgz3k3c>
[5] - https://github.com/apache/airavata/tree/gfac-storm <https://github.com/apache/airavata/tree/gfac-storm>
[6] - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SU1U013Ec_NiW_Y82HRJYVliyoOwNzRH69K4vRli8vU/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SU1U013Ec_NiW_Y82HRJYVliyoOwNzRH69K4vRli8vU/edit?usp=sharing>

[7] - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MigsXsC1VGM-Y7qSblOh9xMO2xdAlYBHUiWppPmK8_A/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MigsXsC1VGM-Y7qSblOh9xMO2xdAlYBHUiWppPmK8_A/edit?usp=sharing>

> On Mar 23, 2015, at 11:51 AM, Danushka Menikkumbura <danushka.menikkumbura@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> As I have heard a lot of interesting things are happening (and are about to happen) in
Airavata space especially targeting the 1.0 release. Yes its last minute ;-) but if you have
got some interesting and challenging topic I am happy to contribute as a GSoC project. But
please note that it may go beyond a GSoC project and have some value addition to Airavata
in the long run.