airavata-dev mailing list archives

From K Yoshimoto <kenn...@sdsc.edu>
Subject Re: [DiSCUSS] Hosted RabbitMQ Server for Airavata
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 17:07:33 GMT

As long as there is the option (and good install and config info)
for a locally installed service, I think it's okay to have
a hosted service as a default.

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 11:59:04AM -0500, Suresh Marru wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> As we get ready for the 0.14 release, one thing which always comes up is the installation
of RabbitMQ. We addressed this for Zookeper by using embedded server. But thats not a good
approach for RabbitMQ server since its in Erlang (and not in Java, unlike rest of Airavata)
and forking of an external process on different operating systems will lead to unpredictable
errors.

> How about we mitigate this pointing the release build to a hosted service? Here are some
pros and cons:

> * This will alleviate the installation requirements and will go back to one click installation.
> * Users will not have to worry about downloading and starting up RabbitMQ server. But
can change it to local or other installations in properties file.
> * If a user is trying to use Airavata without having the need for internet connectivity,
then they have to have a local installation.
> * There is a risk of the service being down and the release being pointed to a stale
service. This can be mitigated by a persistent CName alias which points to a hosted server.

> * There are popular rabbitmq hosted services [1], [2], [3] but are often expensive [4]
for a community project.
> * Few of Airavata active developers (along with me) are part of a download airavata project
which runs airavata as a service. Within SciGaP project [1] we could run a persistent service
like rabbitmq-service.scigap.org atleast for near future.