airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject laravel & thrift
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2014 13:00:03 GMT
Nipurn,

Thanks for suggesting Laravel as a potential framework for airavata web interfaces. Its seems
very intuitive (atleast couple of tutorials I tried). I am wondering if following two scenarios
will be a possibility:

* Airavata data models are described by thrift IDL and generated PHP data models [1] are identical
to laravel model classes. It will be nice to wrap the laravel model classes with airavata
thrift generated models (either manually or auto-generated) and make them available as composer
dependency. So if any one wants to start a web interface against airavata api, we should be
able to do the following and auto generate the required model wrappers and associated controllers
and just work on customizing views. Something like “composer create-project laravel/airavata
my-gateway-interface”

* Laravel controllers look very flexible to serve for web UI as well as to expose RESTful
services. For cases like where there is lot to display (like experiment summary) and users
interact on the browser (sorting, filtering), can we auto-generate laravel rest services and
integrate with angularJS like frameworks? Our previous concerns to add a REST layer in front
of airavata been maintenance (keeping REST services and thrift API in sync). But if we can
auto-generate for selected API methods, this can be mitigated.

Thoughts?

Suresh
[1] - https://github.com/apache/airavata/tree/master/airavata-api/airavata-client-sdks/airavata-php-sdk/src/main/resources/lib/Airavata/Model