airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: laravel & thrift
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:27:03 GMT
Sounds good Nipurn. Will look forward to see hear see your airavata laravel prototype.

Suresh

On Sep 15, 2014, at 10:35 AM, Nipurn Doshi <nidoshi@umail.iu.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been working with getting Laravel to be able to cover existing Sci-gap code into
controllers, reusable modules and library classes. I am hoping to completely wrap a first
working model by Wednesday.
> That is an interesting suggestion if we can have sci-gap available on composer dependency.
I haven't worked towards this area, but will try and see what I can come up with.
> I haven't yet looked at angularjs part yet, but we can definitely get that in. This might
be an interesting read for that - http://blog.neoxia.com/laravel4-and-angularjs/and implentation
shouldn't be hard.

> Also, just a suggestion- for showing experiment summaries I could connect a CMS package
into Laravel. If we go into that direction, we can look into this - https://octobercms.com/
. This isn't towards the main code, just for authors to explain their experiment summaries.
This is not important though. Might just become an additonal service and we can look at it
down the line.

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 9:00 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
> Nipurn,
>
> Thanks for suggesting Laravel as a potential framework for airavata web interfaces. Its
seems very intuitive (atleast couple of tutorials I tried). I am wondering if following two
scenarios will be a possibility:

> * Airavata data models are described by thrift IDL and generated PHP data models [1]
are identical to laravel model classes. It will be nice to wrap the laravel model classes
with airavata thrift generated models (either manually or auto-generated) and make them available
as composer dependency. So if any one wants to start a web interface against airavata api,
we should be able to do the following and auto generate the required model wrappers and associated
controllers and just work on customizing views. Something like “composer create-project
laravel/airavata my-gateway-interface”

> * Laravel controllers look very flexible to serve for web UI as well as to expose RESTful
services. For cases like where there is lot to display (like experiment summary) and users
interact on the browser (sorting, filtering), can we auto-generate laravel rest services and
integrate with angularJS like frameworks? Our previous concerns to add a REST layer in front
of airavata been maintenance (keeping REST services and thrift API in sync). But if we can
auto-generate for selected API methods, this can be mitigated.