airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AngularJS samples for Thrift API
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2014 16:33:44 GMT
Hi Supun,

Thanks for these clarifications. Yes I mean that we can simply exercise the user api by developing
a user for user and group management but do it in angular JS. Does it make sense?

Suresh

On Sep 4, 2014, at 11:57 AM, Supun Nakandala <supun.nakandala@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Suresh,
>
> The user API that I created was intended to be used as a support service. So most of
the functionality in the API are operation oriented such as authenticating a user, fetching
the groups of the authenticated user, checking the permissions of a user etc. As per my understanding
most of these functionality are not useful to be implemented as web portal elements.

> But for demonstration purposes we can implement a AngularJS based web application which
allows the user to login and shows the user information, user permissions etc. Is this what
you are referring?

> Supun
>

> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 8:53 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Supun, Shameera,
>
> Well if we are suggesting the UI’s to be developed directly against the thrift API
(unlile GSOC 2013 projects which used a REST intermediary developed by Shameera), can we have
a sample AngularJS based UI so others could follow it as a reference example?

> How about we take the User Management Proxy API developed by Supun and write up sample
angularJS based interfaces and refer it to UI developers of other airavata API modules?

> Suresh
>
> On Aug 29, 2014, at 1:02 AM, Supun Nakandala <supun.nakandala@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Suresh,
> >
> > It is always easy to use a REST API to make a web front ends as we can exploit the
built in functionalities of AngularJS. But given a situation that we have a Thrift API it
is also not very hard to do a tweak and get the job done in AngularJS.

> > On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 3:55 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
> > Great write up Supun. I think this should motivate others to follow suite.
> >
> > I will send this as (and others if they come soon) as part of ASF highlights to
google.

> > Supun, looking at your blog, I am looking at the prototype you did with angular
JS and thrift. Based on what you looked at, do you rather suggest tweaking anguarJS was easy
enough to work with thrift, or do you rather suggest having a RESTful version of the API to
make web front ends easier to integrate?