airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Marlon Pierce <marpi...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: Experiment Cancellation
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2014 13:01:03 GMT
There is an advantage for task (or job) state to capture the information
that really comes from the machine (completed, cancelled, failed, etc),
and for experiment state to be set to canceled by Airavata.  That is,
there should be parts of Airavata that capture machine-specific state
information about the job for logging/auditing purposes.

* Airavata issues "cancel" command to job in "launched" or "executing"
state.

* Airavata confirms that the job has left the queue or is no longer
executing. This could be machine-specific, but the main question is "has
the job left the queue?" or "is the job no longer in executing state?"
I don't think it is "if this is trestles, and since we issued a qdel
command, is the job marked as completed; of if this is stampede, is the
job now marked as failed?"

* If the job cancel works, the Airavata marks this as canceled.

* If cancel fails for some reason, don't change the Experiment state but
throw an error.

Marlon