airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Jijoe Vurghese <jijo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Thrift and HTTP
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2014 05:23:52 GMT
Eran and I had a discussion on this at Wize Commerce early last year for a similar scenario,
i.e., to expose some internal service APIs to public Internet. This use case went away and
we instead exposed the Thrift APIs directly for the time being, but isolated them on separate
service machines.

http://people.apache.org/~thejas/thrift-0.9/javadoc/org/apache/thrift/transport/THttpClient.html
is one way to redirect calls to Thrift APIs via an HTTP server. One detail to look into is
what,if any. features of Thrift protocol are lost by adding the HTTP indirection layer.

FWIW, there is a Quora question open on this topic - http://www.quora.com/Evernote/How-did-Evernote-secure-their-public-facing-Thrift-API
as it applies to Evernote.

—
Jijoe