airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Miller, Mark" <mmil...@sdsc.edu>
Subject RE: PHP-Reference-Gateway | Query
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2014 13:02:56 GMT
As a user, I like the null string option and that behavior for when I cant remember exactly
what the name of something I am looking for is.
It’s not tidy, but it keeps me from having to pull out something else and look for it, if
I recognize it when I see it.
So I see a big plus to this personally, as a user. If I have too many files, I use a wild
card to make the list smaller.

I think having both, the former for disorganized users like me, and the latter “browse”
for those who are more orderly.

Just my 2c

Mark

From: Reagan, David Michael [mailto:dmreagan@iu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2014 1:45 PM
To: dev@airavata.apache.org
Subject: RE: PHP-Reference-Gateway | Query

Hi, Gagan. I’m not sure how the API handles a null search query, but I purposefully chose
to make the field mandatory in the gateway. Maybe it’s just me, but I find it strange that
it would return everything when you search for nothing.

If it behaved as you describe, the page would list all of the experiments/projects owned by
that user. Presently, that functionality is performed by the Browse page. Perhaps it would
make sense to eliminate the Browse page, and just use search for everything. I would be OK
with that, but I would advocate for the user having to enter a wildcard character like ‘*’
instead of accepting an empty string.

Dave