airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Jijoe Vurghese <jijo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: etcd and zookeeper (little)
Date Sat, 14 Jun 2014 23:33:11 GMT
I’ve heard of it, but not had a chance to use it yet.

The only caveat I see is https://github.com/coreos/etcd/blob/master/Documentation/production-ready.md

Hence, a choice of ZK vs. etcd comes down to the following (from https://github.com/coreos/etcd
):

Do the use cases:

1/ Require to handle use cases that Zookeeper Atomic Broadcast (ZAB) protocol doesn’t?
etcd uses Raft.
2/ Require the acclaimed “1000s of writes/s per instance”…in other words, the use cases
you have in mind may  outgrow ZK’s throughput

The advantage of ZK is its longer history in production (and hence, more bugs worked out of
that system). There is a non-trivial value in that.

In other words, tradeoffs, tradeoffs :)

—Jijoe