airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Sachith Withana <swsach...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Workflow handling in the Application Catalog
Date Sat, 31 May 2014 13:42:45 GMT
On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:23 PM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 1:15 AM, Sachith Withana <swsachith@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> When designing the Application Catalog for single Applications, I ran
>> into the issue of supporting workflows in the Application Catalog.
>>
>> Should we store the workflows ( workflow files) and keep ids, which would
>> be the handles for those workflows?
>>
> Thanks for bringing this up Sachith. In your opinion how do you think the
> workflow should be represented through the CPI? Workflow string or Thrift
> object with workflow metadata distinguished or Thrift object with all
> workflow data distinguished or any other way? I suppose we need to
> figure-out what should be queried in a workflow.

For the functional purposes I think it would be better to store the
workflow the way it is right now purely because we wouldn't want this to
affect the Workflow Interpreter behavior. But we can store meta-data about
the workflows to whatever the features we would want to support. Is there a
way to get the applications residing in a workflow without explicitly
passing it to get the meta-data?

>> We would have to keep track of the applications that are in that workflow
>> so that the deployment related data would be reused.
>>
>> Similarly to the single Applications, the sharing and other features
>> would be available for the workflows as well.
>>
>> Is there any more details that I should be concerned about when
>> implementing the aforementioned approach?
>>
> IMO we can generalize workflows as a composite application with special
> properties. For example a workflow could simply be another deployment for
> an Application interface. wdyt?

I agree. I'll send you the current design I have which generalize this.

>> If we are planning to add searching capability with the workflows as
>> well, then we'd have to store the applications that are used in the
>> workflows, separately in the database as well instead of storing it as a
>> whole.
>>
> You mean node information here when you say "applications" right?

yep. wdyt?

--
Thanks,
Sachith Withana