airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Saminda Wijeratne <samin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Workflow handling in the Application Catalog
Date Thu, 29 May 2014 16:53:24 GMT
On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 1:15 AM, Sachith Withana <swsachith@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> When designing the Application Catalog for single Applications, I ran into
> the issue of supporting workflows in the Application Catalog.
>
> Should we store the workflows ( workflow files) and keep ids, which would
> be the handles for those workflows?

Thanks for bringing this up Sachith. In your opinion how do you think the
workflow should be represented through the CPI? Workflow string or Thrift
object with workflow metadata distinguished or Thrift object with all
workflow data distinguished or any other way? I suppose we need to
figure-out what should be queried in a workflow.

> We would have to keep track of the applications that are in that workflow
> so that the deployment related data would be reused.
>
> Similarly to the single Applications, the sharing and other features would
> be available for the workflows as well.
>
> Is there any more details that I should be concerned about when
> implementing the aforementioned approach?

IMO we can generalize workflows as a composite application with special
properties. For example a workflow could simply be another deployment for
an Application interface. wdyt?

> If we are planning to add searching capability with the workflows as well,
> then we'd have to store the applications that are used in the workflows,
> separately in the database as well instead of storing it as a whole.

You mean node information here when you say "applications" right?