airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Saminda Wijeratne <samin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Application Catalog Design Phase-I
Date Sun, 11 May 2014 19:25:08 GMT
Thank you all for your feedback from both the mailing list and google
hangout discussions. As for the last weeks google hangout discussion we
came to the following conclusions regarding phase 1.

   - Focus only on thrift data model ComputeResourceDescription[1] (i.e.
   hosts)
      - we'll re-evaluate the design after the tutorial
   - Thrift API functions will be defined for the thrift data model
   ComputeResourceDescription and its supporting models in a separate thrift
   file
   - Thrift data models for the rest of the Application Catalog components
   will be focussed upon later
   - Reuse the existing ServiceDescriptor and ApplicationDescriptor schema
      objects for the time-being to fill the missing void in the application
      catalog.
   - A new component called "Application Catalog" will be introduced along
   with a CPI for it
   - We will be saving ComputeResourceDescription as the way we save thrift
   objects. But ApplicationDescriptor and ServiceDescriptor will be saved as
   blobs with basic id/name metadata fields to allow querying.
   - Samples and tests which used descriptors to add applications will use
   the new CPI/API functions as necessary to add applications to the
   Application Catalog
   - GFac will retrieve applications from the application catalog retiring
   the old Airavata API completely. However in order to minimize the changes
   at GFac side it will transform the application catalog to schema objects
   service/host/application descriptors.
   - We will attempt to complete these changes by 16th May in order to
   start testing and using them by next week.

Thanks,
Saminda

1.
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=airavata.git;a=blob;f=airavata-api/thrift-interface-descriptions/computeResourceDescription.thrift;h=c025f12ade908fbdd395a1d4c64f811e49f4dd3d;hb=HEAD