airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Delete methods in the API
Date Fri, 23 May 2014 12:37:25 GMT
On May 19, 2014, at 5:39 PM, Marlon Pierce <marpierc@iu.edu> wrote:

> We need to be able to delete projects and experiments, but there are no
> API methods for this.  I realize this is raises some problems for
> experiments that have been launched (I put this in the API summary [1],
> but I suggest the following intermediate steps:

For the reasons stated in the doc, delete is complex. How about the following to start with:

> * Have a method to delete Experiments that have not been launched yet.
How about  deleteExperiment($experimentID) - currently only support delete unlaunched. In
the future we may want to mark a flag “active” to true or false base on if anything is
going on with this experiment. I feel this is more authoritative then statuses. For instance,
there can be race conditions on states changes and delete actions. Instead, we can make this
simple by having a semaphore on an active flag.

> * Have a method to delete Projects that only consist of unlaunched
> Experiments.

I think cascade deletion of projects and experiments within it (even conditional delete) will
need to thought out more. How about we only deletion of empty projects for now? That means,
the gateway is expected to delete all experiments and then the project. Not optimal but to
minimize side effects for now.

Suresh