airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Marlon Pierce <marpi...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: Need Help !!
Date Mon, 26 May 2014 15:57:29 GMT
Hi Gagan--

Thanks for the questions and please keep them coming.

Airavata 0.11 from late last year is our latest release, and the trunk
is now very different. Airavata 0.11 is the last version with support
for XBaya and an older version of the client API (developed mostly by
Saminda) that has full support for workflows.

We made decisions after Airavata 0.11 to make some major changes.

* Concentrate on Science Gateway use cases at the expense of workflows
in the near term. Gateways typically run single jobs through a web
browser. Scaling and multi-tenancy are the challenges.  Hopefully "near
term" is drawing to a close.

* Introduce a new component called the Orchestrator that manages job
submissions and provide a simpler mechanism for single job submissions
(see previous bullet).  Previously, a user would need to define an
entire workflow for a single job, which was pretty complicated for most
of our driving use cases.

* Define our API in Thrift. This has several advantages in addition to
the multi-language support.  Thrift can support richer data models, API
methods, and exceptions than REST, which was a good fit for our project.

* Make significant changes to the Registry to support the new API.

* Put workflow support on lower priority until the Thrift API, Registry,
and Orchestrator were all stable.

These have resulted in several changes that are finally getting wrapped
up and will be released in Airavata 0.12 (tentatively in mid-June).
After this, we will get back to more frequent releases and also
resurrect the workflow work.  Besides workflows, revising the way
Airavata manages its application and resource descriptions (called the
Application Catalog) will be a big focus.

Airavata typically gets used to submit jobs to Grids like the NSF's
XSEDE, which use Globus GRAM, UNICORE, or GSI-SSH clients.  Other
resources (clouds, the Open Science Grid, non-US Grids) are interesting
to us but we just don't have the resources to look at these much. These
are interesting places for contributions.

At this moment, the most actively developed Thrift clients are
temporarily outside Airavata's Git repo, although these should be merged
back soon:

* https://github.com/SciGaP/Airavata-PHP-Client-Samples

* https://github.com/SciGaP/PHP-Reference-Gateway/

Marlon