airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Users and UserGroups in Science Gateways
Date Mon, 12 May 2014 17:42:18 GMT
Can we please follow up on this? How is the current notion of users within Registry?

Suresh

On Jan 31, 2014, at 2:55 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:

> Let me see if I can clarify:
>
> Airavata expects clients (or gateways) to manage users and groups. And Airavata relies
on gateway portal request (which it will blindly trust-based on well secure communications)
to tell which user and group is making a request. The discussion I see now happening is for
Airavata to manage the input and output data. So it will need its own internal structure on
how to manage these.

> If a gateway choose to, it can leverage this structure, but this will not be required.

> As for the data model:
>
> I suggest against making any implicit derivations of the data models these leads to ambiguity
once the motivation is forgotten. I rather suggest making explicit changes to the data model
if the need is justified.

> Airavata data model as I understand is as follows:
>
> Gateways-> Users-> Projects->Experiments
>
> I think what we are talking is to change it induce a groups in between which is a fine
addition, so then it should be:

> Gateways-> Groups-> Users-> Projects-> Experiments.
>
> Simpler use cases may choose to always use a single default group and a user may choose
to have single project. In that case, it shows like:
> Gateways->Users->Experiments, but in the backend its always should have a self-explanatory
hierarchy.

> Suresh
>

> On Jan 31, 2014, at 2:49 PM, Miller, Mark <mmiller@sdsc.edu> wrote:
>
>> I think we agreed that the Gateways would be responsible for user management, but
maybe that is at a different level?

A project can have multiple user for a gateway and a gateway can have multiple projects.

>> Thanks
>> Raminder
>>
>> On Jan 31, 2014, at 12:44 PM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Miller, Mark <mmiller@sdsc.edu> wrote:
>> As an end user, I think even with just a single tool, the argument for a group is
there.
>> As Saminda suggested, one may wish to have a join area to work in with a group, and
individual work you aren’t ready to share, even with just a single tool.

>> Because a Gateway is wide open, it is easy to imagine a case where there are several
groups, each with (potentially overlapping) users, who all are working with Amber for different
projects..
>> Agreed. I totally forgot about shared projects scenario. Thanks for pointing it out
Mark.

>> Mark

user groups for a single usecase. It could be to have a shared space of data hidden from each
user group. It could be to author access/privilledges to the portal or resources depending
on the user group.

>> I would assume the mapping of user to usergroups would be many to one mapping. Unlike
user roles I don't think it is sensible to have users being mapped to multiple groups (there
is a whole area of security to consider here).

>> (I do have to note that usergroup IMO is not a must concept for a science gateway)
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Sachith Withana <swsachith@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Can someone explain to me the mapping of users to groups in a Science Gateway? (
This is regarding the Amber usecase).