airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Saminda Wijeratne <samin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Suggestions on maintaining the server/client configuration files?
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2014 02:45:48 GMT
I refactored the trunk source (except for samples directory) to have only
one instance of airavata-server.properties and airavata-client.properties
files. As mentioned before these files (along with some additional
configuration files) now exist as maven modules.

How to use these configuration modules,

1. Want to have the configuration file in the classpath of a module.
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.airavata</groupId>
            <artifactId>airavata-server-configuration</artifactId>
        </dependency>
or
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.airavata</groupId>
            <artifactId>airavata-client-configuration</artifactId>
        </dependency>

2. Want to have configurations copied to the binary distribution
(zip/tar.gz). Use the dependency plugin to extract the configuration jar to
some location and using the assembly plugin copy the configurations to the
prefered location in the distribution.
pom.xml,
        <plugin>
                <version>2.8</version>
                <executions>
                    <execution>
                        <id>unpack</id>
                        <phase>compile</phase>
                        <goals>
                            <goal>unpack</goal>
                        </goals>
                        <configuration>
                            <artifactItems>
                                <artifactItem>
                                    <groupId>org.apache.airavata</groupId>

<artifactId>airavata-client-configuration</artifactId>
                                    <version>${project.version}</version>
                                    <type>jar</type>
                                </artifactItem>
                            </artifactItems>

<outputDirectory>${project.build.directory}/conf</outputDirectory>
                        </configuration>
                    </execution>
                </executions>
            </plugin>

eg: bin-assembly.xml
    <assembly>
        <fileSets>
        <fileSet>
            <directory>${project.build.directory}/conf</directory>
            <outputDirectory>conf</outputDirectory>
            <includes>
                <include>*.properties</include>
            </includes>
        </fileSet>
        </fileSets>
    </assembly>

3. Need either one of the configuration file for unit/integration tests.
       <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.airavata</groupId>
            <artifactId>airavata-server-configuration</artifactId>
            <scope>test</scope>
        </dependency>
or
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.airavata</groupId>
            <artifactId>airavata-client-configuration</artifactId>
            <scope>test</scope>
        </dependency>

Also I updated the ApplicationSettings/ServerSettings classes support
settings overriding through external settings files and system properties.
Following is the increasing order or priority in overriding configuration
settings in Airavata.

   1. airavata-server.properties / airavata-client.properties
   2. External settings files
   3. Settings passed as command line args
   4. Settings defined as system properties

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Saminda

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com>wrote:

> If thats the case then we are good to go with the current model. I will
> remove the configuration files from src/test/resources, add the
> server/client configuration module as a maven dependency in test scope and
> run the tests. If everything works fine I will commit this change.
>
> myproxy credentials are read through our ServerSettings class. If these
> details need to be overridden from values set at system properties, I can
> update the ServerSettings class to check the system properties first before
> checking the server/client property file. wdyt?
>

> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Lahiru Gunathilake <glahiru@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi saminda,
>>
>> For unit tests we are only going to change credential related parameters
>> to check certain funcationality which we cannot test with localhost (ex:
>> pbs related stuff, slurm related stuff etc). In that case we only need to
>> change credentials which can be read through system properties (these
>> properties can be given in the maven command). In this case we can unify
>> all the test cases to read same properties and all the grid tests should
>> run with one configuration change (in command).
>>
>> If we are only changing credentials during unit tests, we should be good
>> with current model I guess.
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com>wrote:
>>

>>> A new properties file (say "custom.properties") would be introduced
>>> containing only the settings that are different from the shipped version of
>>> the server or client properties file. At runtime the Settings class will
>>> load the server/client properties file as usual and afterwards merge with
>>> the settings defined in custom.properties file. Each module will have its
>>> own custom.properties file defined for unit tests if they have settings
>>> that would different compared to the default valued. Thus the
>>> custom.properties file will act overloading and overriding the default
>>> server/client properties file in the classpath. wdyt?
>>>
>> if we have multiple modules, before running tests we have to modify every
>> place (because we cannot commit credentials to the repo, and at this point
>> we only need to change credentials).
>>
>> WDYT ?

Thus it

by default