airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Saminda Wijeratne <samin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Suggestions on maintaining the server/client configuration files?
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2014 17:02:14 GMT
Thanks Lahiru for fixing the unit test issues in the trunk.

Although almost all settings defined in server/client properties may be
required to run the unit tests, the values of the settings of in those
properties file will differ only slightly from the values in the
server/client properties we ship with Airavata. Thus I suggest the
following alternative for duplicating the properties file for running unit
tests.

A new properties file (say "custom.properties") would be introduced
containing only the settings that are different from the shipped version of
the server or client properties file. At runtime the Settings class will
load the server/client properties file as usual and afterwards merge with
the settings defined in custom.properties file. Each module will have its
own custom.properties file defined for unit tests if they have settings
that would different compared to the default valued. Thus the
custom.properties file will act overloading and overriding the default
server/client properties file in the classpath. wdyt?

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 2:18 AM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com>wrote:

> hi devs,
>
> I refactored the trunk code to link airavata-server.properties and
> airavata-client.properties from 2 maven modules now included in the trunk.
>  modules/configurations/server
> modules/configurations/client
>
> airavata-server.properties is used by the "airavata-standalone-server"
> module (@ modules/server) and in the server distribution.
> airavata-client.properties was used in,
> modules/orchestrator/orchestrator-client-sdks
> modules/xbaya-gui
> modules/distribution/xbaya-gui
> modules/distribution/airavata-client
> modules/airavata-client
> airavata-api/airavata-client-sdks/java-client-samples
>
> However I was not able to carry out similar merge for the properties files
> used in the tests since I kept hitting on broken unit tests. I will try to
> fix them first along with the issue reported by lahiru [2].
>
> Saminda
>
> 1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-1121
> 2. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-1119
>

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 6:40 AM, Lahiru Gunathilake <glahiru@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I think we already have it in gfac-schemas and using tool like this[1],
>> we can quickly generate forms without worrying about changing them when the
>> schema changes.
>>
>> But I think we are going to do a new Application Catalog and once its
>> done we can use some tool to do the same thing.
>>
>> [1]https://code.google.com/p/xsd-web-forms/
>> Regards
>> Lahiru
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Sachith Withana <swsachith@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Why don't we have some kind of Util module to store all these config
>>> files and have a rest-kind of class which acts as the middle layer between
>>> airavata modules and config files?
>>> All the config files are in one place, have a programmatic method of
>>> accessing them.
>>>
>>> IMO we should have a different set of config files for the Integration
>>> tests,
>>> 1. It would test the system using the thrift 'client' using external
>>> configurations files
>>> 2. since it is a main entry point for a gateway/airavata dev, it will
>>> show a clearer image on  which configurations we should use when we are
>>> using the client (it would only be the URLs and the ports for now).
>>>  3. It would eliminate any airavata-internal dependencies for the
>>> integration tests.

Then use