airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Airavata Thrift API Review - Experiment Object
Date Wed, 16 Apr 2014 11:53:42 GMT
On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com>wrote:

> I started working on the final distribution for the client and in order to
> perform verifications I added some samples. While writing the samples (i.e.
> copy pasting it from elsewhere :)) I noticed that the Experiment has
> following constraints,
>
> - An experiment input has a data type property which does not have any
> relevance at the time of creating/launching

Very true, this has to be accessed during the configuration but no point
passing it along.

> - Compulsory to setup output of the experiment at the time of
> creating/launching

This is certainly a bug. GFac should be able to fetch these details from
registry/app catalog and not expect client to send them.

> - Compulsory to setup scheduling information at the time of
> creating/launching

This has to be optional and not mandatory. For now, since there is no
scheduling knowledge in Orchestrator, we may have to send this. So I think
we should live with this for now and plan to move this logic into
orchestrator pretty soon.

> These make a potential 5-6 lines of code (which is actually needed to
> launch the experiment) in to 20+ lines of code (even with the supporting
> util classes we have introduced). Any suggestions on usability aspect on
> this?

I agree we should be back to 5-6 lines.

Suresh