airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Vivek Bhatia <viv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Plan for community buidling
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2014 21:12:41 GMT
Hi Suresh,

Yes, I agree we should segregate major architectural changes. Ideally, we
can view these as 2 separate areas. There are others as well but can start
with these.

1. Work streams - These are projects/work items that every one works on. We
need to establish a structure for these. For example following is one way
to organize our work items.

Themes - This is a high level view of tangible work/product/feature. This
is sometimes also called a HLF (High Level Feature)
|_
   Epic - The themes are generally broken down into one or more Epic. An
Epic is a block of requirements that have not been broken down on
rationalized into stories.
         |_
            Stories - These are brief statements for product requirements
or use/business case. These are one level below the Epics in other words
one or more stories under an Epic
                     |_
                        Task - Tasks are at the most granular level and are
a discreet piece of work. They define some effort or work that can be
completed to satisfy the task. These roll up into a story.

JIRA provides the capability for us to be able to build a structure like
this. This will enable us to determine what and how much work we need to do
to achieve what we are planning to achieve. This is a simplistic view and
obviously more needs to be done but if we can implement this to begin with
it will be a good start. For example, later on we can also track these work
items using labels once the structure is established.

2. Architectural Components - These are architectural components that we
work on as part of work items. We can define these in JIRA in the component
field such as XBaya, GFac, etc. I noticed that we are already doing this.

I can help  with some of this effort but I do not have edit/create
permissions on JIRA. I tried assigning a JIRA to myself but wasn't able.
Additionally I wanted to log a JIRA for the common commands but couldn't do
it. I think I will need permissions to do that.

Thanks,
-Vivek