airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Reagan, David Michael" <dmrea...@iu.edu>
Subject RE: Airavata Thrift API Review - Experiment Object
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2014 16:42:32 GMT
My PHP code uses ~28 lines to create an experiment. The Thrift-generated code is quite confusing,
so it’s difficult for me to tell what is really required. Are there sensible defaults for
some of an Experiment’s properties, or can some of them be filled in automatically somewhere
else down the line? As a gateway developer, how would I know that?

Dave

From: Saminda Wijeratne [mailto:samindaw@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:48 AM
To: dev
Subject: Airavata Thrift API Review - Experiment Object

I started working on the final distribution for the client and in order to perform verifications
I added some samples. While writing the samples (i.e. copy pasting it from elsewhere :)) I
noticed that the Experiment has following constraints,

- An experiment input has a data type property which does not have any relevance at the time
of creating/launching
- Compulsory to setup output of the experiment at the time of creating/launching
- Compulsory to setup scheduling information at the time of creating/launching
These make a potential 5-6 lines of code (which is actually needed to launch the experiment)
in to 20+ lines of code (even with the supporting util classes we have introduced). Any suggestions
on usability aspect on this?