airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Marlon Pierce <marpi...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: GFac latest changes
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2014 16:52:43 GMT
+1  These are good changes.

Marlon

On 4/30/14 12:41 PM, Suresh Marru wrote:
> Hi Lahiru,
>
> These are very nice changes and I like them for the fact that gfac-core becomes really
light weight. Also creates a nice separation of concerns from what core does and what extended
providers do. I look forward to see all this wrap up and we proceed to create some documents
on gfac architecture and provider developer guide.

> Suresh
>
> On Apr 30, 2014, at 12:09 PM, Lahiru Gunathilake <glahiru@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> As we have discussed me and Nipun finished 80% of separation gfac-core from its own
implementation and split those implementation in to different modules. I am planning to add
following features to gfac-core and move the monitoring implementation out of gfac-core which
will use the following framework features.

>> 1. Developers can configure daemon type handlers which are not specific for each
request but common to the jvm. These daemon type handlers will start during gfac initializing
and shutdown during gfac shutdown. All the handlers/provider which get execute for each request
can access the daemon handlers and can give some work for them. (basically jobexecution context
has access to the configured daemon handlers).

>> 2. Developers can configure request specific handlers to run in separate thread.
Currently we are running all the handlers for a given request in a single thread but if you
implement ThreadedHandler and configure it in the execution chain rather configuring as a
global daemon handler it will get execute in a separate thread. But this is for each execution
request which matches your handler chain.

>> I am planning to use above feature of the gfac framework and implement a reliable
monitoring for hpc resources we support. So there will be another gfac implementation module
like gfac-hpc-monitor and it will not be coupled with gfac-core.