airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Marlon Pierce <marpi...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: Plan for community buidling
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2014 21:03:03 GMT
I also wanted to say thanks for the feedback.  One thing we are trying
to do (and this sometimes crosses the dev and architecture lists) is to
define the stories literally in some narrative format before making the
Jira stories.  There has been some other traffic on the Application
Catalog and on GFac on these topics that we should build on.

Marlon

On 4/22/14 4:39 PM, Suresh Marru wrote:
> Hi Vivek,
>
> I think this is a great suggestion. I agree and second everything you say
> below.
>
> Should we also consider segregating major architectural changes,
> incremental development tasks and bug fixes?
>
> Do you have any suggestions for a JIRA Workflow? If you already do not
have
> the right privileges on airavata jira, we can req
>

> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 8:57 PM, Vivek Bhatia <vivb77@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> re: community building and suggestions. I completely agree with the
>> following indicated in Suresh's email. It is always a good idea to think
>> through the bigger picture first and break down the work into smaller
>> chunks and file JIRA's for it. This is a very common industry
practice and
>> will help us in several ways such as provide a high level structure
for the
>> JIRA's, help other contributors understand the bigger picture and
pitch in
>> into the effort, help us evaluate work/milestone for each feature etc.,
>> additionally could also help identify what our roadmap is so that we can
>> publish that out to perspective community/users for Airavta. We might be
>> doing this already and it might be a good idea to take another look
at this
>> to see where we need to put more emphasis on, which is what I think the
>> objective of this effort/email is...
>>
>> 1) The current core developers should spend more time in described
>> requirements and clearly scoped improvements to JIRA. As developers, we
>> tend to enjoy writing in java than in english. But I feel, the time
we take
>> of our own coding and writing well defined requirements will boost the
>> community building.
>> 2) JIRA tasks - Currently the developers are adding issues on what they
>> are working. This is undoubtedly helping to track commits to JIRA,
but as a
>> good development practice, we should add as many tasks as possible, and
>> then when we start to work on an issue, we should assign it to ourselves
>> and start coding. This way we know the active development areas ahead of
>> time and community can if possible align.
>>

>> my 2 cents here...
>> -Vivek
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I want to revisit the community building thread from over two years ago.
>>> Any concrete steps we can take now?
>>>
>>> Eran, thanks for sharing some of these concerns in a post-hangout
>>> discussion today. Can you please share some of your suggestions on this
>>> thread?
>>>
>>> Suresh

documentation, E-R