airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Features for Airavata 0.12 release
Date Mon, 31 Mar 2014 16:41:33 GMT
Hi All,

I volunteered to be the RM for 0.12 release and have been doing a bad job in pro-actively
calling for a release time line. Given that this release is focusing on major re-architcture
triggered by Thrift Migration, how about take a one-time exception  and defer the release
until little more time? In the past few months we have been simplifying the architecture quite
a bit by introducing CPI’s and using thrift for API’s. The side effect was the delay but
hoping this is all in a progressive direction towards 1.0.

Concretely, my suggestion is for us to re-define release features and then plan the release.
Any one have objection on deferring the release until we make a more cohesive features and
also robust already added features with more integration tests?

One outstanding feature I see missing is the application catalog. I will start on drafting
the thrift models and start the discussions on it.

Suresh

On Jan 21, 2014, at 12:30 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:

> Sounds great. May be one idea is to take the thrify route with the following priority:
>
> 1. Simple application execution using Orchestrator
> 2. Query for experiment and job status from registry
> 3. Fetch input, output provenance data from registry
> 4. Workflow execution using thrift api
> 5. Application Catalog (all the service, host and application descriptions)
>
> So based on your release list, hopefully we can shoot to have 1, 2 3 done for 0.12 and
4 and 5 for 0.13?

> Suresh
>
> On Jan 21, 2014, at 12:08 PM, Chathuri Wimalasena <kamalasini@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Suresh,
>>
>> I think we can have at least the basic skeletons ready for the release. We may not
be able to have the complete thrift IDLs for registry though. Do you think it is ok ?

>> Regards,
>> Chathuri
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 11:43 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi Chathuri,
>>
>> For Thrift interfaces, do we want to focus on execution API only or do you think
we can get a version of Registry methods also into this release?

>> Suresh
>>
>> On Jan 21, 2014, at 10:06 AM, Chathuri Wimalasena <kamalasini@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Its time to plan features for Airavata 0.12. Lets use this mail thread to discuss
features that you would like to incorporate into Airavata 0.12.

>>> So please come up with realistic feature list (which we can finish within 6 weeks)
for 0.12. Tentative target release date is Feb 28th. Here are some of the features that we
need to incorporate into this release.