airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Saminda Wijeratne <samin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clarification about Airavata GFac
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2014 04:59:05 GMT
GFac Providers are for different computing resources (UNICORE/GRAM/SSH/EC2)
which have different ways of handing application execution (more accurate
word is job submission). But details of knowing, selecting and configuring
a provider is not the scope of a general user. Thus GFac hides provider
details through the GFacAPI (soon to be re-introduced in a different form
as the GFacCPI) by giving the application an abstract interface (which
consists of the application name, its inputs and outputs). A general user
will request job submissions through GFac using this abstract interface.
GFac will look through the registry to retrieve application deployment
details that correspond to the abstract interface and based on deployment,
it will select the correct GFac Provider and pass on the request to that
provider.