airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Subho Banerjee <subs.z...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Integrating a thrift javascript client sdk with angularjs
Date Thu, 20 Mar 2014 06:41:00 GMT
Hi Shameera,
I don't want to shoot down that idea outright. But I have severe
reservations with that proposal (this was one of the main problems that
Sanchit and I had in integrating the backend to the frontend).

The problem with wrapping the Thrift client is that AngularJS' $promise
framework is not aware of http requests anymore.
Most of niceties of AngularJS comes from this framework (The dynamic
changes in webpages when the underlying models change etc.).

You make a point of tightly coupling the code with angular. Without the
promise framework, if you want to maintain similar functionality as the
original AngularJS, you are looking at rewriting substantial portions of
code that are already in AngularJS (but you are choosing not to use them).
I don't think this is the way forward. The $http request will be
understandable to a Airavata developer. A custom written $promise
framework... probably not!

This is the main problem that we had integrating your wrapper from las
years GSoC into the front end. We couldn't get the promises working with
the AJAX requests that you had written (much like the Thrift client).

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 1:28 AM, Shameera Rathnayaka <shameerainfo@gmail.com

Cheers,
Subho