airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Airavata GSoC 2014 plans
Date Mon, 03 Feb 2014 20:25:16 GMT
Hi All,

Apache Airavata will participate in GSoC 2014 through the Apache Software Foundation as we
did last couple of years. We hope to have a good number of project ideas as we did in the
past. in 2013, there were 6 airavata based gsoc projects accepted.

We will soon propose the ideas, but for now the best thing is to get a overview of Airavata
by playing around with recently released 0.11 version. The trunk may be broken as you can
sense from the dev list, there is a lot of activity to re-architect a bit in preparation for
Airavata 1.0 release with a stable API and component level CPI’s.

Quite frankly, Airavata GSoC tend to be non-trivial and time consuming. But we take the projects
very seriously and look for students who are committed to get the projects integrated into
main code base and continue supporting them and be engaged with the community. For students
who continue to be engaged beyond gsoc we try to get them onboard as committers and support
if they would like to publish technical and research papers. But all these, after you pass
the gsoc hurdles which tend to be higher than an average gsoc project. The following two mail
threads from last year are still relevant.

http://markmail.org/message/rmotieckqj3a4xxv
http://markmail.org/message/rw2qzpukheow5aiy

Please do not take on challenge of airavata, unless you really have good amount of time to
spare. This year, we will hope to have more concrete projects with well-defined weekly sprints
and we will try to be rigid in passing mid-terms and finals. All of it will be compensated
by a committed mentorship though.

Suresh