airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hangout: Orchestrator, Registry, GFAC, and API recap and plans
Date Tue, 04 Feb 2014 16:21:39 GMT
Frankly we need some first hand experience and keep iterating on approaches on how all of this
will play out across versions. Lets start with some approach and go from there.

Thrift has a maven plugin in development but Chathuri confirmed even it will need thrift to
be installed locally. It makes sense since the thrift generator is in C++ and is platform
dependent.

Suresh

On Feb 4, 2014, at 11:13 AM, Lahiru Gunathilake <glahiru@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Suresh,
>
> Does thrift has a maven plugin to generate classes ? We can have interfaces in one module
and different implementations in a separate module. If there's a change (API level change,
the implementation modules should be changed, otherwise they shouldn't be compiled). But if
someone wants the old one they can have a dependency to the old module and should be able
to compile the impl module).

> Suresh, WDYT ?
>
> Regards
> Lahiru
>

> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
> On Feb 4, 2014, at 9:59 AM, Lahiru Gunathilake <glahiru@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Suresh,
> >
> > Current airavataAPI looks very clean and easy to understand. Thanks to your very
detail comments I was able to understand the process.

> > I think we need to make sure we give a simple easy to use experimentModel.ConfigurationData
object to configure. What is our plan with implementing experimentModel.ConfigurationData
?

> Yes, we need every one’s critical eye in making these configuration data to cover all
the use cases, yet be simple and as concise as possible.

> For the implementation, thrift has a generator for java beans (in addition to standard
java) which essentially makes all members to private with setters to return void. We can have
this generated beans as a separate airavata-thrift-datamodel.jar and all components will use
this the same way we now use workflow execution context or workflow tracking library. Not
sure if this is what you asked.

> > Regards
> > Lahiru
> >

> > On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM, Marlon Pierce <marpierc@iu.edu> wrote:
> > Where do these go?  In modules/thrift-interfaces?
>
> I am now poking around at other thrift based projects to find a way to organize these.
A challenge I see if how to over-write the generated classes without loosing any implementations.
Will post a layout for discussion soon.

> Suresh
>

> > Marlon
> >
> > On 2/4/14 9:34 AM, Suresh Marru wrote:
> > > Makes sense Lahiru. I will commit generated data model into commons and client
stubs and server skeletons.

> > > Suresh

repository. This will make life easier for developers, because everybody doesn't have to go
through the hard steps to install Thrift in their machines.

model and hard to understand it.