airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Supun Nakandala <supun.nakand...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clarification about Registry and Provenance packages in XBaya
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2014 19:03:07 GMT
Hi Saminda,

Thanks for explaining me the history and the current status of XBaya.

Previously by registry and provenance I was referring to the two packages
org.apache.airavata.xbaya.registry and
org.apache.airavata.xbaya.provernance. The main confusion I had previously
was understanding why there is a separate package for provernance data
instead of having only registry package because all these data is stored in
airavata registry.

But after reading the code in those two packages I understood that although
all the data is stored in the Airavata registry, in XBaya,
org.apache.airavata.xbaya.registry package deals only with saving and
retrieving workflows, and  org.apache.airavata.xbaya.provernance package
deals with saving node outputs, reading experiment data etc. What I
understood from this is even though at the bottom level all these data is
stored in the Airavata registry this package separation is done based on
the type of data. Correct me if I am wrong.

The other issue I had was understanding how these registry operations map
to new Airavata thrift API. By going through thrift data models [1] and
thrift API [2] I could understand that these operations does not have a one
to one mapping with the new API but can be achieved by using the data
models and the API calls.

Yet I cannot understand how to use this new thrift API to do the tasks like
add/edit host descriptors, add/edit service descriptors, add/edit workflows
etc which can be done in 0.11 XBaya using the 0.11 API.

Thank you

[1] -
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=airavata.git;a=blob_plain;f=airavata-api/thrift-interface-
descriptions/experimentModel.thrift;hb=HEAD

[2] -
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=airavata.git;a=blob_plain;f=airavata-api/thrift-interface-descriptions/airavataAPI.thrift;hb=HEAD

--
Thank you