airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Airavata Thrift Module Hierarchy
Date Sat, 08 Feb 2014 01:49:18 GMT
On Feb 7, 2014, at 2:59 PM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com> wrote:

> I thought all client SDK sources gets auto-generated from the thrift file. Am I missing
something here?

They are generated but not auto-generated. The default thrift generator is written in c++
which becomes platform specific. So we need to instal thrift and generate and put it into
the client SDK packages. There are third party auto-generators like this from twitter - http://twitter.github.io/scrooge/
I think for now we can live with manual generation and everything else stabilizes we can explore
these options.

For now I am foreseeing we distribute the client sdk’s similar to evernote distribution:
http://dev.evernote.com/doc/
https://github.com/evernote

Suresh

> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Saminda,
>
> As with other distributions, the client SDK’s will have sources and we can ship the
binaries as release artifacts. Ofcourse the java client sdk can be pushed to maven. It will
be nice to push the PHP SDK to PEAR library (http://pear.php.net/), perl to CPAN (http://www.cpan.org/)
but I do not know whats involved and associate release tasks. But it will be good to explore
once we get some php users.

> To start with, I suggested to move the airavata-api, the data models and client sdk’s
to top level in the repository. So now users who are interested in checking the source of
data model and clients can do so right away. The server skeletons and handlers are also here.
Only core developers who work with component implementations can navigate into modules.

> Suresh
>
> On Feb 6, 2014, at 4:12 PM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry I forgot to ask this question earlier (and probably it was asked earlier
in a discussion which I missed following). The client SDKs are straightaway binary distributions
(zip/tar.gz)?

> > On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 8:10 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
> > With no objections, I will goahead and make this directory structure and start checking
in thrift generated code.

> > Suresh
> > On Feb 4, 2014, at 12:42 PM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > As we are discussing on [1] Of all the examples I looked around, I really liked
apache accumulo approach in working with thrift (thanks for the pointer Supun). How about
we shamelessly copy clone accumulo’s script? It nicely appends license headers and cherry
picks thrift interfaces changes and copies them into the right destination.