airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Raminder Singh <raminderjsi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Gateway Developer Tutorial
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2014 18:20:50 GMT
+1 for using sample gateway to start with and build over it. Added advantage is integration
with credential store which is an important step for gateways going forward.

Raminder

On Jan 6, 2014, at 12:57 PM, Amila Jayasekara <thejaka.amila@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would also suggest to explain the big picture first. i.e. where is the API client and
where is the server, where are the resources in a pictorial view. You may also can use sample
gateway as a basis for your guide. So that users has an actual code to look into.

> Thanks
> Thejaka Amila
>

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds good Sachith. Few things to keep in mind.
> Describe the simple problem which you are simulating a solution for through a simple
gateway. (eg: a scientist wants to run his application with the input datasets then wait until
it finishes to view the results)
> Might be a good idea to mention the obvious things for an actual gateway which you are
leaving-out of this tutorial for simplicity. (eg: authentication, session management, file
upload/downloads etc.)
> You may have to specifically explain in brief things such as authentication requirements
for the Airavata Server (although the gateway user doesn't require authentication).
> Identify the user groups clearly. For example the gateway user is the person who will
be using the web portal. gateway developer is the person who develops the web portal. a gateway
admin is the person who configures the web portal (in your simple gateway dev tutorial gateway
admin need not be included but I think its useful to mention who'd be responsible for adding
the workflows/descriptors perhaps through XBaya for this simple gateway)
> These are just things from top of my head. Feel free to get more clarifications on them...
>
> Saminda
>

> On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Sachith Withana <swsachith@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Saminda,
>
> I'm going to organize it base on the three major components I have shown in my diagram.
> Details wise, I would only include how the API could be used to create the gateway. Anything
beyond the API will not be explained since this is the simple gateway guide. I would explain
those details in the elaborated version if required. Since the main expectation of the gateway
developer is to create a gateway and use Airavata API to use the resources. So I thought details
on "How to use" the API should be enough?

> Including downloadable samples would be a great idea. I would do that.
>
> Here's the rough sketch. [1]
>
> [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRAVATA/Simple+Gateway+Developer+Guide
>

> On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 10:26 PM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sachith, could you explain how are you going to organize simple gateway guide? How far
details are you planning to include in it? Any down-loadable samples would be tempting for
a developers to follow through to the next steps.

> IMO I think you should start on a rough sketch/draft of the wiki page. Then it'll be
easier for anyone to give feedback on it.

> Regards,
> Saminda
>

> On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 12:07 AM, Sachith Withana <swsachith@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Apache Airavata developer guide[1] is obsolete as mentioned by Saminda in the Jira [2].
>
> We are planning to update the Wiki Gateway developer guide so that a gateway developer
is able to create the gateways using the latest Airavata API.

> We have divided the developer guide into two components
> 1. Simple Gateway developer guide
> 2. Elaborated Gateway developer guide
>
> In the simple gateway guide, we will be targeting new gateway developers to use the API
to create a simple yet complete gateway. I have attached the design of a simple gateway and
the guide will help the developer in accomplishing those components with the use of the Airavata
API.
> This design contains a simple workflow with inputs.
>
> In the elaborated Gateway guide, we will take on executing complex workflows with multiple
number of nodes in different hosts ...etc, getting status of the experiment at multiple levels
( Experiment level, workflow level( multiple workflows under the same experiment is not yet
supported), Node Level, Application Level ...etc)