airavata-dev mailing list archives

From "Miller, Mark" <mmil...@sdsc.edu>
Subject RE: Users and UserGroups in Science Gateways
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2014 19:56:09 GMT
Thanks for explaining Suresh!

-----Original Message-----
From: Suresh Marru [mailto:smarru@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2014 11:55 AM
To: Airavata Dev
Subject: Re: Users and UserGroups in Science Gateways

Let me see if I can clarify:

Airavata expects clients (or gateways) to manage users and groups. And Airavata relies on
gateway portal request (which it will blindly trust-based on well secure communications) to
tell which user and group is making a request. The discussion I see now happening is for Airavata
to manage the input and output data. So it will need its own internal structure on how to
manage these.

If a gateway choose to, it can leverage this structure, but this will not be required.

As for the data model:

I suggest against making any implicit derivations of the data models these leads to ambiguity
once the motivation is forgotten. I rather suggest making explicit changes to the data model
if the need is justified.

Airavata data model as I understand is as follows:

Gateways-> Users-> Projects->Experiments

I think what we are talking is to change it induce a groups in between which is a fine addition,
so then it should be:

Gateways-> Groups-> Users-> Projects-> Experiments.

Simpler use cases may choose to always use a single default group and a user may choose to
have single project. In that case, it shows like:
Gateways->Users->Experiments, but in the backend its always should have a self-explanatory
hierarchy.

Suresh

On Jan 31, 2014, at 2:49 PM, Miller, Mark <mmiller@sdsc.edu> wrote:

> I think we agreed that the Gateways would be responsible for user management, but maybe
that is at a different level?

project can have multiple user for a gateway and a gateway can have multiple projects.

> Thanks
> Raminder
>
> On Jan 31, 2014, at 12:44 PM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Miller, Mark <mmiller@sdsc.edu> wrote:
> As an end user, I think even with just a single tool, the argument for a group is there.
> As Saminda suggested, one may wish to have a join area to work in with a group, and individual
work you aren't ready to share, even with just a single tool.

> Because a Gateway is wide open, it is easy to imagine a case where there are several
groups, each with (potentially overlapping) users, who all are working with Amber for different
projects..
> Agreed. I totally forgot about shared projects scenario. Thanks for pointing it out Mark.

> Mark

user groups for a single usecase. It could be to have a shared space of data hidden from each
user group. It could be to author access/privilledges to the portal or resources depending
on the user group.

> I would assume the mapping of user to usergroups would be many to one mapping. Unlike
user roles I don't think it is sensible to have users being mapped to multiple groups (there
is a whole area of security to consider here).

> (I do have to note that usergroup IMO is not a must concept for a science gateway)
>

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Sachith Withana <swsachith@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can someone explain to me the mapping of users to groups in a Science Gateway? ( This
is regarding the Amber usecase).