airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Shameera Rathnayaka <shameerai...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commit messages, Jira, and version control
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2014 04:53:17 GMT
Hi,

I just needed to take attention for git repository structure before we go
with same structure that we have with SVN. It is always good to understand
what are the options we have and what is best suite for Airavata. This is a
good place to change the structure of project if it is required. Therefore
I would like to suggest that we need to rethink of our module structure,
IMO we are too fine grain here. As an example under the rest module we have
another four sub modules( can't we merge client and mapping modules? ) and
for thrift we have two top modules can't we go with one?   Please correct
me if i am wrong ?

Isn't it good to use separate repository to XBaya? My point is, Then we can
introduce another GUI client( Web base) and deprecate XBaya in future.

Thanks,
Shameera.

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:

> Actually I responded pre-maturely. I am myself not convinced if this will
> help or is needed. Let me withdraw my suggestion and stick to an opinion
> (for now) to have a single unified repo. We may want to once revisit the
> layout as we get close to 1.0.
>
> Suresh
>
> On Jan 21, 2014, at 9:46 PM, Amila Jayasekara <thejaka.amila@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Suresh,
> >
> > I didnt quite understand what you proposed. Are you proposing to have
> separate repos for "Airavata Services", "Airavata Client SDK’s" etc ... ?
> > If so I am with Danushka.
> >
> > Also Airavata is a fairly manageable code base. So I also dont see an
> advantage having separate repos for each of the sub-components.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Amila
> >

> > On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 7:08 PM, Danushka Menikkumbura <
> danushka.menikkumbura@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Suresh,
> >
> > IMO, having independent repositories does not really help unless the
> components are mutually exclusive and we ship them independently.
> >
> > Danushka
> >

> > On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 1:32 AM, Suresh Marru <smarru@apache.org> wrote:
> > In retrospect, it may be better to make this decision now and have INFRA
> create the required repositories at once.
> >
> > I kind of liked what Shameera started, just to rephrase:
> >
> > * Airavata Services
> > * Airavata Client SDK’s
> > * Airavata Web UI’s
> > * Airavata GUI Tools
> > * Airavata Admin Tools
> >
> > I am + 0 on this. Not sure if breaking up will reduce clutter and
> provide better manageability or will overwhelm.
> >
> > Here are some examples, if it helps:
> >
> > https://github.com/jclouds
> >
> > And the master ASF repo which is an umbrella for all apache project
> mirrors - https://github.com/apache
> >
> > Suresh
> >

> > On Jan 21, 2014, at 2:36 PM, Marlon Pierce <marpierc@iu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > For now, I want to keep the same structure with one repository.
> Assuming
> > > the vote passes, this will be a simple email to Apache INFRA to do the
> > > conversion.  We can bring up reorganization separately.
> > >
> > > Please let me know if I am missing something, though.
> > >

> > > Marlon

> all
> separate

> that it