airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Predefined parent working directory for jobs
Date Mon, 13 Jan 2014 16:14:03 GMT
Saminda, Lahiru,

Why not use the staticWorkingDirectory option within Application Deployment Description [1]?
The intention of this option was, within the provider, if this is provided, it ignores the
scratchWorkingDirectory and always uses a static working directory location.

Also, if I re-read Saminda’s original request, is it not the normal GFac behavior? I mean,
within the specified directory scratchWorkingDirectory=foo on host A and scratchWorkingDirectory=bar
on hostB, all new sub-directories will be created. What is the precise difference from this
behaviour?

Suresh

[1] - https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/airavata/trunk/modules/commons/gfac-schema/src/main/resources/schemas/ApplicationDeploymentDescription.xsd

On Jan 13, 2014, at 9:53 AM, Lahiru Gunathilake <glahiru@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Saminda,
>
> You can do this easily by writing another Handler and make sure you call this handler
after AppDescriptorCheckHandler.  You can have properties in your handler configuration and
read those properties and configure different hosts with different  base directory locations.
So your handler configuration could looks like this.

> <InHandlers>
>             <Handler class="org.apache.airavata.gfac.handler. AppDescriptorCheckHandler"/>
>             <Handler class="org.apache.airavata.gfac.handler.BaseDirectorySetupHandler">
>                     <property name="trestles" value="/home/trestles/base-directory"/>
>             </Handler>
>
>         </InHandlers>
> With handler properties you do not have to hard-code the host specific directories or
create another configuration file.

> Hope this helps !
>
> Regards
> Lahiru
>

> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com> wrote:
> A specific gateway will have access to the directory location "foo" in a certain remote
host A. Therefore the gateway would like to have all the working directories for the jobs
running in remote host A to be located inside "foo". Similarly for jobs running in remote
host B, all the working directories should be created inside the directory location "bar"
of which the gateway has access.

> The reason why the working directories needs to be located in locations accessible to
the gateways is because the gateway may perform manual data transfer.

> Thanks,
> Saminda
>
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Raminder Singh <raminderjsingh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Saminda,
>
> Do you want all the jobs should use same working directory? AppDescriptorCheckHandler
in GFAC handles working directory, input-output directory in GFAC. You can control these configuration
by customizing this input handler. Please describe the use case and i will be able to provide
better input.

> Thanks
> Raminder
>
> On Jan 10, 2014, at 1:14 PM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> I want the parent directory of each working directory of the jobs to be a predefined
path defined for each remote host. What is the easiest way to do this?