airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: About Apache Airavata
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2014 19:55:02 GMT
Hi Udara,

We can give write access to wiki to who ever who wants to contribute (but you still have to
do patches for website and codes). So google docs are fine to get your thoughts together,
but we advice to get your documents into wiki. We do not have any standard for creating diagrams,
but prefer formal software engineering representations like UML.

Suresh

On Jan 24, 2014, at 2:50 PM, Nipun Udara <y.b.n.udara@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For those who haven't access to the wiki, is it ok to submit patches for documents as
google docs. And is there any standards of creating diagrams and other stuff. Also which modules
you commend for beginners to start adding patches.

>               regards
>               udara
>

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 8:19 PM, Marlon Pierce <marpierc@iu.edu> wrote:
> A wiki article on this would be a very useful contribution.
>
> Marlon
>
> On 1/19/14 1:28 AM, Saminda Wijeratne wrote:
> > We do not have any comprehensive documentation to explain this to a new
> > developer. You may look at [1] to get a basic understanding of the
> > components in Airavata and understand the flow of control and data when a
> > request comes through the API.
> >
> > When a workflow is submitted through the API it first goes to the "Workflow
> > Interpreter" which interprets the workflow and executes each node in it.
> > And when a particular node corresponds to an application execution it will
> > hand over the execution of that node to the "Application Factory" (GFac for
> > short). The GFac will connect with remote resources in cloud/grid/etc in
> > order to start the process of executing the relevant applications and
> > report back the progress and results. The progress and results are sent to
> > "Registry" (for permanent storage) and to "MessageBox" (for temporary
> > storage of any users who had subscribed to receive progress messages for
> > that workflow execution).
> >
> > All other functions in the API (except for monitoring functions) translate
> > to saving or retrieving data to/from the "Registry".
> >
> > Data for Registering New Application  = input/output parameter types
> > associated + Application Remote Host access data (IP, globus/ssh/ec2) +
> > Application access data (application path, env. vars, scratch location etc.)
> >
> > The 3 types of data corresponds to 3 descriptors.
> >
> > Application input/output types = <ServiceDescriptor>
> > Application Remote Host access data = <HostDescriptor>
> > Application access data = <ApplicationDescriptor>
> > Therefore,
> >      Registering New Application = Adding new descriptors
> >
> > (The reason we do not keep 1 descriptor to define all the data for an
> > application is that in most situations applications share some data which
> > makes it worth while to refactor them out as different descriptors like
> > above making it easier manage)
> >
> > Feel free to ask more questions.
> >
> > You are welcome to provide patches to our documentation or take an
> > initiative to create new wiki articles in Airavata Wiki to help others who
> > are interested in understanding Airavata design and implementation.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Saminda
> >
> > 1. http://airavata.apache.org/architecture/overview.html
> >

> > On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 7:33 PM, Nipun Udara <y.b.n.udara@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all,
> >>           I went through the simple gateway developer guide  and what i
> >> want to know is after submitting a job using airvata api how the workflow
> >> execution/ochestration is going on and how to register new application with
> >> airavata, is it adding new descriptors with in registry. any body can
> [...]
Apache

 Yours

 Udara