airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Marlon Pierce <marpi...@iu.edu>
Subject Re: About Apache Airavata
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2014 19:56:11 GMT
We can give you access to the wiki. I suggest you make Jira tickets that
describe what you want to do first. Confluence has built in tools for
creating diagrams.  The samples and integration-tests modules are the
best place to make initial contributions.  You can describe your sample
codes to wiki pages.

Marlon

On 1/24/14 2:50 PM, Nipun Udara wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For those who haven't access to the wiki, is it ok to submit patches for
> documents as google docs. And is there any standards of creating diagrams
> and other stuff. Also which modules you commend for beginners to start
> adding patches.
>
>               regards
>               udara
>

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 8:19 PM, Marlon Pierce <marpierc@iu.edu> wrote:
>
>> A wiki article on this would be a very useful contribution.
>>
>> Marlon
>>
>> On 1/19/14 1:28 AM, Saminda Wijeratne wrote:
>>> We do not have any comprehensive documentation to explain this to a new
>>> developer. You may look at [1] to get a basic understanding of the
>>> components in Airavata and understand the flow of control and data when a
>>> request comes through the API.
>>>
>>> When a workflow is submitted through the API it first goes to the
>> "Workflow
>>> Interpreter" which interprets the workflow and executes each node in it.
>>> And when a particular node corresponds to an application execution it
>> will
>>> hand over the execution of that node to the "Application Factory" (GFac
>> for
>>> short). The GFac will connect with remote resources in cloud/grid/etc in
>>> order to start the process of executing the relevant applications and
>>> report back the progress and results. The progress and results are sent
>>> "Registry" (for permanent storage) and to "MessageBox" (for temporary
>>> storage of any users who had subscribed to receive progress messages for
>>> that workflow execution).
>>>
>>> All other functions in the API (except for monitoring functions)
>> translate
>>> to saving or retrieving data to/from the "Registry".
>>>
>>> Data for Registering New Application  = input/output parameter types
>>> associated + Application Remote Host access data (IP, globus/ssh/ec2) +
>>> Application access data (application path, env. vars, scratch location
>> etc.)
>>> The 3 types of data corresponds to 3 descriptors.
>>>
>>> Application input/output types = <ServiceDescriptor>
>>> Application Remote Host access data = <HostDescriptor>
>>> Application access data = <ApplicationDescriptor>
>>> Therefore,
>>>      Registering New Application = Adding new descriptors
>>>
>>> (The reason we do not keep 1 descriptor to define all the data for an
>>> application is that in most situations applications share some data which
>>> makes it worth while to refactor them out as different descriptors like
>>> above making it easier manage)
>>>
>>> Feel free to ask more questions.
>>>
>>> You are welcome to provide patches to our documentation or take an
>>> initiative to create new wiki articles in Airavata Wiki to help others
>> who
>>> are interested in understanding Airavata design and implementation.

> [...]
    Yours

    Udara