airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Marlon Pierce <marpi...@iu.edu>
Subject Commit messages, Jira, and version control
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2014 19:50:41 GMT
Hi all--

We have discussed $subject before for other reasons without much action
[0], so I want to bring it up again.  Unless the situation has changed
recently, Apache's Jira no longer links SVN commit messages to Jira
tickets.  For background on the issues with SVN, see [1].  This ticket
is still unresolved.

The general linking of repo commits to Jira tickets through commit
comments [2] is a good and virtuous thing.  We have lost this in
Airavata and need to get it back.  This requires moving to Git [3] [4].

What other consequences are there for doing this?  Let's please
discuss.  It will take a bit of time from INFRA to make the conversion,
but this doesn't seem to be awful.  We need to preserve history if we do
this.  What else?

Thanks--

Marlon

[0] https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@airavata.apache.org/msg03881.html