airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Suresh Marru <sma...@apache.org>
Subject Rename SPI explicitly
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2014 19:41:35 GMT
Hi All,

We have been overloading the use of the term API within Airavata. We discussed this few time,
but how about we take an action and rename the internal component level interfaces to SPI
and retain the use of API for only the external facing public API.

I am suggesting the following:

We will have Airavata API grouped by functionality (as it is today with may be minor enhancements):
Application Catalog (application interface, application deployment and host descriptions),
User Management, Security Credential Management, Execution Management & Metadata and Provenance
Management.
For now leave the messaging system as a API as it can be called upon by external clients.

For SPI:
Orchestrator SPI
Workflow Interpreter SPI
GFac SPI
Registry SPI
Credential Store SPI

If we all agree to change this, I am willing to do the dirty work of changing the namespaces
and such and bring the code to a build able stage. But that will require a code freeze for
few hours.

Suresh