airavata-dev mailing list archives

From Raminder Singh <raminderjsi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Users and UserGroups in Science Gateways
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2014 18:03:43 GMT
Looking at Airavata Data model, there is project which is equivalent to User group. A project
can have multiple user for a gateway and a gateway can have multiple projects.

Thanks
Raminder
On Jan 31, 2014, at 12:44 PM, Saminda Wijeratne <samindaw@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Miller, Mark <mmiller@sdsc.edu> wrote:
> As an end user, I think even with just a single tool, the argument for a group is there.
>
> As Saminda suggested, one may wish to have a join area to work in with a group, and individual
work you aren’t ready to share, even with just a single tool.

> Because a Gateway is wide open, it is easy to imagine a case where there are several
groups, each with (potentially overlapping) users, who all are working with Amber for different
projects..

> Agreed. I totally forgot about shared projects scenario. Thanks for pointing it out Mark.

> Mark

user groups for a single usecase. It could be to have a shared space of data hidden from each
user group. It could be to author access/privilledges to the portal or resources depending
on the user group.

> I would assume the mapping of user to usergroups would be many to one mapping. Unlike
user roles I don't think it is sensible to have users being mapped to multiple groups (there
is a whole area of security to consider here).

> (I do have to note that usergroup IMO is not a must concept for a science gateway)
>

> On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 8:55 AM, Sachith Withana <swsachith@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>

> Can someone explain to me the mapping of users to groups in a Science Gateway? ( This
is regarding the Amber usecase).